Pella (Ancient Pella) is built on a hill, 1 km from Thessaloniki – Edessa highway and the archaeological site, and 7 km from Giannitsa. South of the highway one can see the fertile plains that emerged from the drainage of Loudia Lake or Giannitsa Lake by the American company Foundation from 1927 to 1937.
Pella has an area of 3 square km and a population of 2540. Pella was the name of the ancient city founded by Archaelaos around 400 BC. During the Byzantine and Ottoman Reign its name was changed to Saint Apostles and it was known as Postol. It was given its first name back, in 1936.